The latest versions of Raspberry Pi require much more power than the older ones did. Previously, a USB power cable was all you needed but with Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, it is different. Efficient power supply is crucial to work on projects and for that, you will need to purchase the best.
We’ll give you a little brief about Raspberry Pi power supply before we jump into the best available ones in the market. There are basically three main ways to power your device: Raspberry Pi PSU, GPIO, USB ports. Choosing a power supply that comes with a micro USB power input port is the best bet. Now, let’s discuss what’s in the market:
1. CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply
This UL listed power supply from CanaKit is the best of its kind out there. Even Amazon thinks so! It comes with a micro USB plug and a 5 feet long cord, making it pretty flexible and easy to use.
Listed below are a few of its additional features:
- The power output is 5V DC 2.5A. This is the metric that Raspberry Pi recommends!
- The input is 100 to 240 V AC.
- It has been tested and verified to work seamlessly with all versions of Raspberry Pi.
- If you use your Raspberry Pi a lot and are worried about overuse or high power requirements, this is the power supply you must grab without a second thought. It has been designed to meet these requirements!
- It can power your Raspberry Pi even when all the 4 USB ports are being used simultaneously.
- It has no overheating problems and does not get hot even after a period of time.
- Many users say that they love how it has been constructed – it is clean and strong.
- There is nothing to install here. Just plug it in like a regular charger and start using it!
2. The Pi Hut Raspberry Pi Micro USB Power Supply
It is the cheapest micro USB power charger on the market today. Mainly, This Pi Hut designed PSU is CE certified so that you can use it with your Raspberry Pi anywhere in the world.
Features of Pi Hut Raspberry Pi 2 Power Charger:
- Output 5V/1.5A DC
- It is specially manufactured for Raspberry Pi models
- CE/FCC certification makes it a globally usable unit
- Depending on the region you live in USA, UK, Australia, Europe, etc. it comes with one particular and suitable outlet adapter
- It is protected by short circuit and overload situations, so you can use it worry-free in your complex Raspberry Pi projects
3. NorthPada Raspberry Pi 2 Power Wall Supply Charger
NorthPada power supply is not only used for Raspberry Pi models but also utilized for all Android smartphones and tablets. You can say it is a great Raspberry Pi power adapter with proper amperage.
Specification of NorthPada Raspberry Pi power supply:
- It comes with 1.7m long cable, so even if you place your Pi set up a little bit far from the adapter, you can comfortably use it
- It is suitable for all Raspberry Pi single board computers including Pi Zero,
- Input AC 100-240V and 5V/2000mA DC Output
- Due to the thick insulation inside and wrapping of aluminum material, this unit is noise resistant
- Can be used for Android devices too
- Improved quality control in efficient design gives you a peace of mind while you use this PSU for your Raspberry Pi project
4. Pi Hut Raspberry Pi B+ Power Supply
You can directly charge your Pi setup from the wall socket just like a phone using this Raspberry Pi power adapter. Due to it is CE certified, you can use it worldwide by leaving the worry about the safety standards of electronics components.
Best Features of Pi Hut Raspberry Pi Power Supply:
- It is a lightweight and portable RasPi charger
- Input AC 110-250V 0.15A 50/60Hz & Output DC 5V 2000mA
- Suitable for international use
- Protects your circuit board and set up from short circuit, overvoltage, and overcurrent situations
- A suitable power plug adapter provided according to the region from where you order it
- 30-day money back guarantee and 1-year warranty allows you to make a hassle-free purchase
5. NeeGo 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply
The NeeGo 2.5A power supply is specially designed tested for Raspberry Pi 3. It delivers maximum Power to avoid from a reboot. It has a noise filter to obtain stability in spite of heavy use. It fulfills all Raspberry Pi power requirements and also can be used to power Kindle and other devices too.
The NeeGo Power Adapter Charger comes with features like:
- Though it is specially meant for Raspberry Pi 3, you can also use it with other Pi models like Pi 2, Model A+, original Raspberry Pi, etc.
- It has a 6 feet cord length which allows you to use the ample space in your room without being worried about the power socket place
- Input 2.5A 5v DC which offers maximum power to your RPi 3 even if you use it as a fully functional computer
- Due to its portable design, you can carry it anywhere you go with your Pi set up conveniently
- It comes with portable micro USB cable which allows you to use it with other devices like Kindle, Android smartphones, and similar products
- It is a safe and durable power supply for Raspberry Pi which prevents unexpected reboot of your machine and provides enough resource of electricity to your Pi
6. Gowoops 5V 2.5A Power Supply for Raspberry Pi 3 & 2
The all-in-one power supply from Gowoops has a special design with LED lights to let you know the on/off situation of the source. It is compatible with Raspberry Pi 2, Pi 3, and all other Pi models. The convenience of this power adapter charger is making it preferable by many electronics enthusiasts doing their Pi projects worldwide.
Features of Gowoops Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 Power Supply Charger are:
- The best advantage of this PSU is, it comes with two Raspberry Pi heatsinks made of aluminum & copper to cool down your processor at the time of overheating
- Even if the included portable USB power cable breaks, you can replace it with a new one and can use the adapter as before
- Comes with an inbuilt on/off switch, so you do need to pull out & in your adapter to start or reboot your Raspberry Pi circuit
- Available in multiple designs; either a 2.5A single port or a 3A double port to allow you choose as per your need
- Durable and reliable build gives a stable output voltage to your Pi 3 & 2
7. Enokay Power Supply for Raspberry Pi
If you want a system stability and performance with your Raspberry Pi circuit, then stick with the 5V 2.5A power supply from Enokay. It is a versatile power adapter which you can use with the SBCs like Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Android devices like smartphones, tablets, and other similar machines.
The Enokay Power Supply for Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 comes with the features such as:
- It has an inbuilt on/off switch, so it provides more convenience when you want to restart & reboot your Pi circuit
- The cable has a length of 1.5 meters which can be a little bit smaller, but it will surely allow you to place your setup to a safe distance from the wall socket
- Provides enough power source for your Raspberry Pi setup even when you use it full fledged
Many reliable starter kits come with a power supply that you can depend on. However, if you need to buy one separately, we recommend you to follow this list. Our personal vote goes to CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi B+ Power Supply because it meets the needs of every Raspberry Pi user and is affordable at the same time.
What are your thoughts? We are eager to hear from you!