Best Raspberry Pi Sensors for Innovative Projects
If you are a DIY hobbyist or simply love the world of electronics, the Raspberry Pi board is definitely a great source of interest. For any project to give the desired results, we must ensure that the communication is seamless. That’s where Raspberry Pi sensors come into the picture. There are sensor modules and kits that help communicate with other devices and machines from the Raspberry Pi.
In the market, you will see a vast number of these sensors but the right one for you will depend on the type of project and the type of communication needed. For example, the Raspberry Pi sensors for display texts will be different from those for voice inputs, command lines, et cetera.
Let’s take a look at the best Raspberry Pi Sensors options out there:
1) Kuman 37 in 1 Arduino Raspberry Pi Sensor kit
This Raspberry Pi Sensor kit is easily the best option out there, and we have Amazon’s “Amazon Choice” tag to prove that! It is a completely professional 37-in-1 sensor module kit with unbeatable compatibility. You may think it works only for Arduino, but you are wrong. It also works seamlessly for Raspberry Pi RPi 3 2 Model B, A, A+, and B+.
We’ve listed a few more its features here:
- The kit comes with free tutorials that will help you understand Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Many users say that the tutorials are extremely useful in understanding Raspberry Pi and all its sensors. Even if you are using it for the first time, you’ll understand each of them with ease.
- The microcontroller controls the standard interface. It has TT, MSP430, ARM, DSP, PIC, AVR, 8051)
- The brand promises to give you free further tutorials and source code when you contact them. Users really appreciate this offering from them!
- It has 17KG high torque digital robot servo.
- The price is another factor that we absolutely love. It is affordable!
- It is a superb kit whether you are a newcomer or are just looking for design ideas.
2) Pixy (CMUcam5) Smart Vision Sensor
The Charmed Labs and CMU come together to make this motion vision sensor which learns and identifies the objects. You can directly connect it to your Raspberry Pi board.
- It can learn and object with just a press of a button
- The capability of identifying and display only the required object details from thousands of tracked items make it a favorable Pi sensor for the tinkerers
- The ready-to-use code libraries for Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Beagle Bone help to simplify the programming
- Supports Windows, Linux, and Mac Operating Systems and has the facility to communicate through USB, UART, SPI, I2C, etc. interfaces
- For the DIY robotic projects and similar designs, the Pixy smart vision sensor is perfect
3) KOOKYE 16 in 1 Smart Home Sensor Modules Kit
Coming with all needed and useful components for the Raspberry Pi projects and other electronic circuits and designs, the smart home sensor kit from KOOKYE has a success to be listed here. The sensors and other accessories are specifically made for the smart home devices to make your routine life easy going.
- If you are a rookie in the electronics and going to do your first Raspberry Pi 3 programming, then this module kit is for you
- The different types of sensors like temperature, sound, humidity, smoke, motion detection, light, air pressure, display touch, etc. help you to complete any of your Pi projects
- Provides efficient, reliable, affordable, and sturdily built sensors and modules for the Raspberry Pi kits
- If you go the official site, you will see a lot of step-by-step guides and tutorials to connect, code, and use different types of Raspberry Pi sensors
4) SUNKEE DS18B20 Waterproof Temperature Sensor
If you want to measure something that is too far from you or want a sensor for the wet environments, then the DS18B20 temperature sensor from SUNKEE will be a right choice. It comes in a waterproof design and provides nine to twelve-bit degree Celsius temperature readings.
- It needs only one port on your board to make the communication successful
- It has multi drop capability, and so it provides a simple and distributed temperature measurement
- You may need some resistors to read and adjust the basic sensitivity
- It has a 100cm length, stainless steel design, 9-12 adjustable resolution and requires 3-5V power supply, so perfectly suits your Pi 3 board
5) Microsoft IoT Pack for Raspberry Pi 2 by Adafruit
Adafruit industries and Microsoft together introduced the Windows 10 IoT (Internet of Things) starter pack specifically for the Raspberry Pi users. If you are just getting started with the Raspberry Pi and IoT environment, then this package bundle is what you should get in no time.
- It comes with 1GB Raspberry Pi 2 board, 5V power supply, USB cable, a breadboard, various kinds of Pi sensors like temperature, light, pressure, color, etc. a micro SD card, and also a USB WiFi adapter that’s compatible with the Raspberry Pi
- You can use this sensor module IoT pack with Windows, Raspbian Linux, or even in the Python environment
- You can also use this package with the Azure certified Operating Systems
- It will help you to finish your Raspberry Pi circuit design and turn it into a fully functional and communicating setup
There you have it! There are quite a few Raspberry Pi sensor kits to explore, but our vote goes to the Kuman for Arduino Raspberry Pi Sensor Kit hands down. It is extensive and definitely the best one you can find in the price range. So, if you are looking for extensive tutorials, this is the kit you are looking for!