Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits for DIY Projects of 2018
Update: All the starter kits mentioned in this list come with the latest and advanced Raspberry Pi 3 Single Board Computer.
The latest Raspberry Pi 3 board is the fastest and smartest among its all predecessors. It comes with an onboard WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities. Today, I am going to provide a list of the best Raspberry Pi 3 starter kits to get you started with your electronics projects.
What is Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi is a tiny, low-cost, and super powerful computing platform that can do tasks most similar like a full-blown desktop PC. It can run different Pi Operating System including Microsoft’s latest Windows 10, but mostly use the Debian Linux OS for the programming. If you are planning a new electronics or robotics project and looking for the best starter bundle for it, then go nowhere than the Raspberry Pi kit.
From a retro gaming center to a weather forecast station, from a media center PC to an Internet of Things (IoT) device; anything can be possible with the Raspberry Pi boards. So, if you have anything like this in mind, then get the latest and most sought RPi kits listed below.
Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits
- Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits
- 1) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit (32 GB Edition)
- 2) Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit with a Clear Case
- 3) LoveRPi Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Media Center Kit
- 4) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo
- 5) OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit for Beginners
- 6) Vilros Basic Raspberry Pi 3 Kit
1) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit (32 GB Edition)
The Raspberry Pi 3 Starter kit firstly introduced on Amazon by CanaKit. It comes with all the components and accessories you need to get started with your first Raspberry Pi DIY project.
Specifications & features of Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit are:
- A Class 10 32GB MicroSD card with preloaded NOOBS to quickly boot up your Pi 3 model with the Raspbian OS
- A premium quality black plastic case for the Raspberry Pi 3 is included with the kit
- A full-colored quick starter guide from CanaKit will help you to complete the setup process easily
- The kit also includes other components and accessories like a 2.5A power supply, a 5 feet micro USB cable, an HDMI cable, Noise filter, ribbon cable, breadboard, Canakit GPIO to breadboard interface board, etc.
- 1-year manufacturer warranty offers you a hassle-free purchase
This exclusive CanaKit Raspberry Pi bundle is my favorite because it helps me setting up and running any of my Pi 3 projects in no time. The process is so simple that even if you are using the kit for the first time, then also you will not need any professional help to get going.
2) Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit with a Clear Case
Like the Canakit, Vilros has included this Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit on sale, and soon hundreds of tinkerers bought it. The Raspberry Pi 3 and all other components come in a clear & sturdy case. The company gives a one-year manufacturer warranty for all the parts and accessories of the kit.
Features & specifications of Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit are:
- A perfect starter kit for the beginners and pros in electronics field
- A 16GB class 10 MicroSD card with preloaded Raspberry Pi Operating System
- You can build your favorite projects like programming with Scratch, XBMC media center, Minecraft, retro gaming console, ADS-B receiver, and much more with it
- Specially designed and UL listed 2.5A power supply, noise filter, and micro USB cable for the Pi 3 board
- Set of two heat-sinks makes your processor cooldown when you use it for extended period
- A quick starter guide will help you get going with your Raspberry Pi project
I like this kit because it helps to make the tinkering easy going and hassle-free. The pre-partitioned SD card may seem to be smaller capacity. If you want a full use, then format it and then enjoy the expanded memory.
3) LoveRPi Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Media Center Kit
You already know that the Pi 3 is the latest and fastest version of the Raspberry Pi family. The LoveRPI offers the same device, but with better and standalone accessories. The complete media center kit from LoveRPi provides increased performance to hit the benchmarks.
Features and Specifications of LoveRPi Raspberry Pi 3 Kit are:
- Easy installation of the optimized KODI (XBMC) with pre-installed OSMC system for Raspberry Pi 3 makes it an ultimate home entertainment
- The 32GB memory card compiled with the latest Raspbian OS makes it easy to setup and run your Pi 3 device
- Included Raspberry Pi heatsink will help to cool down the processor for longer use
- The sleek, slim, and durable black colored case protects your beloved device as well as provides simplicity and convenience wherever you take it
- A USB cable with an inbuilt switch, 5V power adapter, and an HDMI cable make it a complete bundle
- An Element14 quick starter guide will help you to get started with your Pi within minutes
4) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo
The famous electronic kits producer – NeeGo designed this complete Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit, especially for the beginners. It comes with a super-powered micro computing Raspberry Pi 3 machine which helps you to implement your electronic circuit designing ideas in reality.
Features & specifications of Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo are:
- The USB power supply of 2.5A and a noise filter with 6-foot cable are specially designed for the Pi 3 projects
- Out of the box connectivity with Bluetooth & WiFi enabled devices
- The black, high-quality case protects your Pi design from any accidental damage
- Two heat sinks, SD card adapter, HDMI & USB cables, noise filter, etc. accessories provide real value for money package
- Ready-to-use starter kit from NeeGo is perfect for the rookies and pros as well
The Neego Raspberry Pi 3 kit helps to learn circuits, robotics, to enjoy games, media, to use a digital office tool, to take pictures, to record videos, and to do much more other things. Education with fun, tinkering with entertainment is what the goal of this bundle.It is achieving it quite comfortable also.
5) OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit for Beginners
The YOO has designed this 22 in 1 starter kit especially for beginners with Pi 3 circuits. If you want to learn and implement the Pi DIY projects in your home lab, then this learning lab kit is recommended for you.
Specifications & features of OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit are:
- This kit is useful for both the teachers and students for the science lab projects and experiments
- Each component is well designed to fulfill the requirements of a DIY kit for a Pi 3 setup
- The kit comes with 17 easy-to-do project tutorial guide included with pictures & videos
- 22 in 1 (total 111 components) starter kit comes in a protective case to prevent any damage to your design
- It is perfect for the beginners who want to learn basic electronics and Linux coding
Other accessories that come in this pack are a 40 pin ribbon cable, GPIO extension board, breadboard, one channel relay module, one servo motor, different sensor modules including pressure, temperature, infrared, & humidity, potentiometer, infrared remote controller, jumper wires, and other essential components.
6) Vilros Basic Raspberry Pi 3 Kit
Vilros designed and launched this limited edition of the basic starter kit especially for the new comers in the electronics field and the ones who are doing their first ever Raspberry Pi project. It comes with all the essential components and tutorial guides for the primary types of electronics and robotic projects.
Features & specifications of Vilros Basic Raspberry Pi 3 Kit are:
- Comes with the super-powerful, tiny, and efficient computing machine to fulfill your ideas
- UL listed power supply of 2.5A is enough for the power-hungry Pi 3 circuit board
- The black designed case comes with a sturdy design and an attractive look which allows you to access all the ports of Pi 3 while using it at full-blown
- Included heatsinks will make you worry-free from the overheating of your circuit even if you use it for extended hours
- One-year warranty for all the components of the kit
The basic Pi 3 starter kit from Vilros is recommended by the rookies in the field of circuits and codes. It allows you to have a worry-free purchase from the authority manufacturer and get in with your first Pi project.
Raspberry Pi Starter Kits Comparison:
|Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit||CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit|
|Sd Card||16GB Micro Sd Card(Class 10)||32 GB MicroSD Card (Class 10)|
|Sd Card Adapter||Y||-|
|HDMI Cable||Y||Y(6.5 feet)|
|Quick Start Guide||Y||Y|
|GPIO Ribbon Cable||Y||Y|
|Heatsink||Set of 2||Y|
|Push buttons Switches||2||2|
|Power Supply||2.5A Micro USB(5 feet)||2.5A Micro USB(5 feet)|
|LED||21 LED||9 LED|
|Basic Circuit Components||-||Y|
|GPIO to Breadboard Interface Board||-||Y|
How to get the best Raspberry Pi 3 kit?
It all depends on your particular project needs, knowledge, and of course, your budget. But, I want to mention here that, any project you are going to make, the overall amount will not exceed to 100 bucks, most probably.
I am always in a look of adding latest and best kits for Raspberry Pi 3 to provide you an excellent choice for your electronic projects. The bundles mentioned in the list above are recommended for both the beginners as well as for the experts in electronics and robotics. Whether you want to start with an easy peasy experiment or want to have an extra flavor in your project with Raspberry Pi 3, these kits will not make you regret choosing them.
I am waiting for the helpful thoughts and suggestions from you. You can share your ideas and inputs through the comment section below or from the contact form. I will be happy to hear from you.
Let me know which kit you liked the most and how it was helpful in your Raspberry Pi project. Help your friends and other electronics enthusiasts to make the best use of these kits for their innovative projects by sharing this list.
How to setup Raspberry Pi 3?
So, you got your favorite Pi 3 starter kit and now going to implement your project idea. But wait a second. How the heck will you start designing the project without setting your Pi up? Do you know the setup process? If Yes, then it’s good and goes for your design, but, if the answer is no, then you should check this quick guide below to setup your favorite Raspberry Pi 3 board.
To setup your Raspberry Pi 3 board, you need some tools and accessories first. Let’s check the list below:
- A 2.5V Raspberry Pi power supply
- An SD card with the capacity of 8GB onboard storage, a card reader
- A USB mouse & keyboard
- A Raspberry Pi touchscreen display or HDMI monitor
- A USB powered WiFi dongle adapter or Ethernet cable
Note: If you bought the best Raspberry Pi Starter Kit, then you do not need to purchase the above tools separately, as the kit includes them all.
Step-1: Use NOOBS to install the official Raspberry Pi OS on your SD card
Every Pi starter kit comes with a preloaded NOOBS SD card. But if you are purchasing a separate component, then make sure you buy the one which is NOOBS ready.
- With the help of NOOBS SD card, install Raspbian OS by downloading the official image from the official website.
- Format the SD card in the FAT type. Depending on the system you use, i.e., Windows or Mac, there are tutorial available on the web if you don’t know how to do this.
- Now, extract the content of the downloaded zip file and save it on the memory card. Once done, eject the SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 3.
Step-2: Connect all the devices to your Pi
It is the time to make a connection between your Pi and other needed devices. Remember to do it in sequence otherwise; you may have recognition problem at the time of boot up. See the sequence below:
- HDMI cable
- USB powered devices like keyboard, mouse, etc.
- WiFi dongle or Ethernet cable whichever you are using for the network connection
- At last, the Raspberry Pi power supply
Step-3: Installing and running the Operating System
After booting up and formatting the SD card, you will be prompted to install the Pi OS. Follow the below things to do it:
First, select your regional language and keyboard layout you want on your Pi.
Then choose ‘Raspbian’ from the list and click on ‘Install’ button.
After few minutes, the NOOBS will finish the installation. Then the system will restart automatically, and a Raspbian Desktop will appear on the screen. Now, it’s the time for configuration.
You will see a Menu on the top-right corner of the screen. Click on it and select the applications like web browser, documents, games, etc. you want to run on your OS. Set up a WiFi network and Bluetooth connection after the OS gets running.
Step-4: Set up WiFi and Bluetooth
Just like you do with other Operating Systems like Windows, you can set the WiFi connection on your Raspbian OS.
- Click on the Internet network icon on the top-left of your desktop.
- From the list of names, select on the WiFi network you want to connect with.
- Enter the credentials and click on Ok button.
- If you are using the USB WiFi adapter for the internet, the method will be the same.
- Now, to connect Bluetooth devices, click on the Bluetooth icon on the top-left side of the screen.
- Choose ‘Add device.’
- When your Bluetooth enabled device shown on the screen, choose it and then follow the pairing instructions.
Step-5: Use the Raspberry Pi PC without Display
Surprised? But it’s true. You can use your Raspberry Pi remotely without any additional display. If you have a desktop or laptop PC at home, then you can connect your Pi to it and then use its OS environment on your own PC. Through the Virtual Network Computing (VNC) or an SSH command line interface, you can make this possible.
So, by following the above steps, you can quickly setup your Raspberry Pi 3 board. If anything goes wrong or you entered false details, then don’t worry and repeat the steps above.
Related links to add more interest:
- Raspberry Pi Official Site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/
- Wiki-page to add more knowledge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
- List of Raspberry Pi Projects: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Projects/