Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits for DIY Projects of 2018
Update: All the starter kits mentioned in this list come with the latest and advanced Raspberry Pi 3 Single Board Computer.
Raspberry Pi 3 board is the latest one in the market and it lives up to the expectations that all users had with it. It is faster and it is smarter than all its predecessors. It also comes with so many different properties that you’ll be thrilled to use it!
If you have just started out, you might want to first learn about Raspberry Pi in detail before we understand why Raspberry Pi 3 is the rage right now.
What is Raspberry Pi?
To put it in simple words, a small but extremely powerful computing platform is also easy on the pocket! You can use it to do pretty much everything that a desktop does. Let me list out a few of its biggest features to enthrall you (if you are not already enthralled):
- You can plug it into your monitor or PC and use it with the help of a mouse and a keyboard.
- You can browse the Internet, stream videos, watch movies, and listen to music just like you would on any full-fledge computer. You can also play games, make spreadsheets, and more.
- You can learn programming languages such as Python and Scratch using Raspberry Pi.
- You can use it to run various operating systems including Debian Linux OS and Windows 10.
If you want to buy something, you will surely look for the best and latest in the market. So, developers and programming enthusiasts, Raspberry Pi 3, is here for you! There are numerous different starter kits in the market that we can choose from. Which one’s the best suited to our needs though? Let’s find out:
Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits
- Best Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits
- 1) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit (32 GB Edition)
- 2) Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit with a Clear Case
- 3) Raspberry Pi 3 Desktop Starter Kit
- 4) Kano Computer Kit 2017 Edition – Make Pi Computer
- 5) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo
- 6) OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit for Beginners
- 7) CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit – 32 GB Edition
1) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit (32 GB Edition)
If you pick this kit up from Amazon, you will not need anything else to get started and enjoy your new Raspberry Pi 3 board. It comes with every component you would need or want. Along with the Raspberry Pi 3, the following is what the kit contains:
- A premium case that comes with integrated camera support.
- A 32 GB class 10 MicroSD card with the operating system already pre-loaded (NOOBS).
- A MicoSD USB reader that you can use to load any other OS onto the card.
- A 2.5A power adapter designed especially for Raspberry Pi.
- A 6.5 feet long HDMI cable thanks to which you can control the Raspberry Pi using a CEC compatible TV’s remote.
- Heat sinks.
- A quick-start guide to help you through the entire setup process.
A few of its spectacular features are as follows:
- It has a 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM.
- Users say that it is the perfect starter kit for every Raspberry Pi enthusiast.
- It has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Many users have also said that the kit is a steal at that price when compared to the other options.
- The included noise filter makes usage super easy and comfortable.
- The brand offers 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
We used this kit and many of its counterparts, and we think it really is the best one out there especially at the price. The entire kit is so simple to use, you won’t feel like a first timer even if you are one.
2) Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit with a Clear Case
Like the Canakit, Vilros has included this Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit on sale, and soon hundreds of tinkerers bought it. The Raspberry Pi 3 and all other components come in a clear & sturdy case. The company gives a one-year manufacturer warranty for all the parts and accessories of the kit.
Features & specifications of Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit are:
- A perfect starter kit for the beginners and pros in electronics field
- A 16GB class 10 MicroSD card with preloaded Raspberry Pi Operating System
- You can build your favorite projects like programming with Scratch, XBMC media center, Minecraft, retro gaming console, ADS-B receiver, and much more with it
- Specially designed and UL listed 2.5A power supply, noise filter, and micro USB cable for the Pi 3 board
- Set of two heat-sinks makes your processor cooldown when you use it for extended period
- A quick starter guide will help you get going with your Raspberry Pi project
I like this kit because it helps to make the tinkering easy going and hassle-free. The pre-partitioned SD card may seem to be smaller capacity. If you want a full use, then format it and then enjoy the expanded memory.
3) Raspberry Pi 3 Desktop Starter Kit
We’ve listed out some of the features that make this a must-buy for any Raspberry Pi 3 enthusiast:
- It comes with a very secure case that is actually the official black Raspberry Pi 3 HAT case that’s also quite functional. It aids easy assembly.
- The kit also includes a 16 GB class 10 MicroSD with pre-installed NOOBS (New Out of Box Software) for Raspberry Pi.
- The brand is also offering a complete Raspberry Pi recovery system.
- In the kit, you will also find the official Raspberry Pi 5.1V 2.5A power supply.
- The plug is interchangeable. The heads can be changed based on your convenience. So, whether you have a 2-pin plug (US) or the one with 3 attachments, this one will work for you with ease.
- Remember that HDMI cable is not included in the kit. You will have to buy it separately along with a USB SD card reader if your work requires it.
- It offers 4 USB ports.
- It comes with a 2 GB RAM.
- Users vouch for this product not just because it is an official kit from the makers but also because it is highly affordable.
4) Kano Computer Kit 2017 Edition – Make Pi Computer
If you want to make your own computer without breaking your pockets, then go for this Kano computer kit. It is powered by the fastest Raspberry Pi 3 board. You just need to watch the story, attach the parts, and then see its working like a wonder.
Features and Specifications of Kano Raspberry Pi 3 Computer Kit are:
- You can make the Pi powered computer on your own by following colorful, page-by-page instructions
- This Kano kit will help you to learn processors, power, codes, sounds, pixels, etc. without much brainstorming
- More than hundred apps like WhatsApp, Codecademy, Wikipedia, YouTube, Scratch, games, etc. will be accessible through this Kano computer
- You will be able to hack Minecraft, to create art, to make your own music pieces, and much more things with this Kano kit
- Apart from the Pi 3, you will get a wireless keyboard, HDMI cable, power cable, LED lights, stickers, power button, memory, Kano’s official OS, a DIY case, quick starter guide, and some applications details
- It is backed by a one-year warranty and lifetime care
5) Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo
The famous electronic kits producer – NeeGo designed this complete Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit, especially for the beginners. It comes with a super-powered micro computing Raspberry Pi 3 machine which helps you to implement your electronic circuit designing ideas in reality.
Features & specifications of Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit from NeeGo are:
- The USB power supply of 2.5A and a noise filter with 6-foot cable are specially designed for the Pi 3 projects
- Out of the box connectivity with Bluetooth & WiFi enabled devices
- The black, high-quality case protects your Pi design from any accidental damage
- Two heat sinks, SD card adapter, HDMI & USB cables, noise filter, etc. accessories provide real value for money package
- Ready-to-use starter kit from NeeGo is perfect for the rookies and pros as well
The Neego Raspberry Pi 3 kit helps to learn circuits, robotics, to enjoy games, media, to use a digital office tool, to take pictures, to record videos, and to do much more other things. Education with fun, tinkering with entertainment is what the goal of this bundle.It is achieving it quite comfortable also.
6) OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit for Beginners
The OSOYOO has designed this 22 in 1 starter kit especially for beginners with Pi 3 circuits. If you want to learn and implement the Pi DIY projects in your home lab, then this learning lab kit is recommended for you.
Specifications & features of OSOYOO Raspberry Pi 3 DIY Starter Lab Kit are:
- This kit is useful for both the teachers and students for the science lab projects and experiments
- Each component is well designed to fulfill the requirements of a DIY kit for a Pi 3 setup
- The kit comes with 17 easy-to-do project tutorial guide included with pictures & videos
- 22 in 1 (total 111 components) starter kit comes in a protective case to prevent any damage to your design
- It is perfect for the beginners who want to learn basic electronics and Linux coding
Other accessories that come in this pack are a 40 pin ribbon cable, GPIO extension board, breadboard, one channel relay module, one servo motor, different sensor modules including pressure, temperature, infrared, & humidity, potentiometer, infrared remote controller, jumper wires, and other essential components.
7) CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit – 32 GB Edition
When we talk about the Raspberry Pi kit, then we must mention this ultimate bundle from CanaKit. Here is the set of all the needed components for your electronics and robotics projects. As it has genuine parts and accessories, you will not have to worry about its quality and durability.
Specifications and Features of Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit from CanaKit are:
- It comes with a NOOBS 32GB Micro SD card of Class 10 to help you easily install Raspberry Pi Operating System
- You will get a premium quality transparent case to protect your Pi 3 setup
- A Pi 3 compatible 2.5A power supply is enough for your custom made electronics designs and circuits
- The colorful, quick start guide will help you to finish your projects with ease
- The noise filter will provide greater stability to the power supply
- Other accessories include a 6.5-foot HDMI cable, 5-foot micro USB cable with power supply, heatsink, breadboard, GPIO, interface board to connect GPIO to a breadboard, push button switches, resistors, quick reference cards, and LEDs
- One-year company warranty allows you to have a hassle-free purchase
Now, with so many Raspberry Pi 3 options in the market you are probably confused about the bets one. Keeping cost, performance, requirements, and ease of use in mind, we would definitely recommend the Canakit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit. Have you used it yet? We want to hear your experience!
Raspberry Pi Starter Kits Comparison:
|Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit||CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit|
|Sd Card||16GB Micro Sd Card(Class 10)||32 GB MicroSD Card (Class 10)|
|Sd Card Adapter||Y||-|
|HDMI Cable||Y||Y(6.5 feet)|
|Quick Start Guide||Y||Y|
|GPIO Ribbon Cable||Y||Y|
|Heatsink||Set of 2||Y|
|Push buttons Switches||2||2|
|Power Supply||2.5A Micro USB(5 feet)||2.5A Micro USB(5 feet)|
|LED||21 LED||9 LED|
|Basic Circuit Components||-||Y|
|GPIO to Breadboard Interface Board||-||Y|
How to get the best Raspberry Pi 3 kit?
It all depends on your particular project needs, knowledge, and of course, your budget. But, I want to mention here that, any project you are going to make, the overall amount will not exceed to 100 bucks, most probably.
I am always in a look of adding latest and best kits for Raspberry Pi 3 to provide you an excellent choice for your electronic projects. The bundles mentioned in the list above are recommended for both the beginners as well as for the experts in electronics and robotics. Whether you want to start with an easy peasy experiment or want to have an extra flavor in your project with Raspberry Pi 3, these kits will not make you regret choosing them.
I am waiting for the helpful thoughts and suggestions from you. You can share your ideas and inputs through the comment section below or from the contact form. I will be happy to hear from you.
Let me know which kit you liked the most and how it was helpful in your Raspberry Pi project. Help your friends and other electronics enthusiasts to make the best use of these kits for their innovative projects by sharing this list.
How to setup Raspberry Pi 3?
So, you got your favorite Pi 3 starter kit and now going to implement your project idea. But wait a second. How the heck will you start designing the project without setting your Pi up? Do you know the setup process? If Yes, then it’s good and goes for your design, but, if the answer is no, then you should check this quick guide below to setup your favorite Raspberry Pi 3 board.
To setup your Raspberry Pi 3 board, you need some tools and accessories first. Let’s check the list below:
- A 2.5V Raspberry Pi power supply
- An SD card with the capacity of 8GB onboard storage, a card reader
- A USB mouse & keyboard
- A Raspberry Pi touchscreen display or HDMI monitor
- A USB powered WiFi dongle adapter or Ethernet cable
Note: If you bought the best Raspberry Pi Starter Kit, then you do not need to purchase the above tools separately, as the kit includes them all.
Step-1: Use NOOBS to install the official Raspberry Pi OS on your SD card
Every Pi starter kit comes with a preloaded NOOBS SD card. But if you are purchasing a separate component, then make sure you buy the one which is NOOBS ready.
- With the help of NOOBS SD card, install Raspbian OS by downloading the official image from the official website.
- Format the SD card in the FAT type. Depending on the system you use, i.e., Windows or Mac, there are tutorial available on the web if you don’t know how to do this.
- Now, extract the content of the downloaded zip file and save it on the memory card. Once done, eject the SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 3.
Step-2: Connect all the devices to your Pi
It is the time to make a connection between your Pi and other needed devices. Remember to do it in sequence otherwise; you may have recognition problem at the time of boot up. See the sequence below:
- HDMI cable
- USB powered devices like keyboard, mouse, etc.
- WiFi dongle or Ethernet cable whichever you are using for the network connection
- At last, the Raspberry Pi power supply
Step-3: Installing and running the Operating System
After booting up and formatting the SD card, you will be prompted to install the Pi OS. Follow the below things to do it:
First, select your regional language and keyboard layout you want on your Pi.
Then choose ‘Raspbian’ from the list and click on ‘Install’ button.
After few minutes, the NOOBS will finish the installation. Then the system will restart automatically, and a Raspbian Desktop will appear on the screen. Now, it’s the time for configuration.
You will see a Menu on the top-right corner of the screen. Click on it and select the applications like web browser, documents, games, etc. you want to run on your OS. Set up a WiFi network and Bluetooth connection after the OS gets running.
Step-4: Set up WiFi and Bluetooth
Just like you do with other Operating Systems like Windows, you can set the WiFi connection on your Raspbian OS.
- Click on the Internet network icon on the top-left of your desktop.
- From the list of names, select on the WiFi network you want to connect with.
- Enter the credentials and click on Ok button.
- If you are using the USB WiFi adapter for the internet, the method will be the same.
- Now, to connect Bluetooth devices, click on the Bluetooth icon on the top-left side of the screen.
- Choose ‘Add device.’
- When your Bluetooth enabled device shown on the screen, choose it and then follow the pairing instructions.
Step-5: Use the Raspberry Pi PC without Display
Surprised? But it’s true. You can use your Raspberry Pi remotely without any additional display. If you have a desktop or laptop PC at home, then you can connect your Pi to it and then use its OS environment on your own PC. Through the Virtual Network Computing (VNC) or an SSH command line interface, you can make this possible.
So, by following the above steps, you can quickly setup your Raspberry Pi 3 board. If anything goes wrong or you entered false details, then don’t worry and repeat the steps above.
Related links to add more interest:
- Raspberry Pi Official Site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/
- Wiki-page to add more knowledge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
- List of Raspberry Pi Projects: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Projects/