If you are a Raspberry Pi owner, then you may know that it has limitless possibilities for making electronics and robotics project. You can create a DIY KODI media center and also can make a Raspberry Pi server to accept the request from other client PCs. A lot of programming stuff can be done using various Raspberry Pi models. And because of such popularity of this tiny, affordable, supercomputer, more and more users get involved in its coding environment.
All these lead to using a VPN service for accessing global content along with data security of the device. So, there are many service providers who started to offer VPN for Raspberry Pi and its compatible devices. But you cannot use all at once, and so I have filtered out some of the most sought and utilized Raspberry Pi VPN applications today. Not only this, but I will also quickly explain how you can setup the VPN on your Raspberry Pi board.
Best VPN for Raspberry Pi
The ExpressVPN service is at the top in this list because it is the most famous and widely used Virtual Private Network service in the world.
- It offers great speed at constant frequency along with top-quality software and excellent customer support.
- The application is easy to use and even the Raspberry Pi beginners can install and operate it quite comfortably.
- ExpressVPN has dedicated servers that cover most part of the world on which you can rely without any hassles.
This VPN service provider is also favorite among the worldwide Raspberry Pi users. It has servers in more than 141 countries. This Hong Kong based company offers a wide variety of international content by protecting your IP address. It unblocks the websites and content which are inaccessible in your region.
- High encryption security protects your personal info and keeps the data intact while you do different online stuff.
- Apart from this, PureVPN offers some special functionality like ‘Kill Switch’ and ‘Split Tunneling’ allows you to get the most out of your Raspberry Pi setup.
- The customer care support from the company is also excellent which draws more people into getting this VPN for Raspberry Pi PC.
Today, more and more customers are being attracted to the NORDVPN service. One of the main reasons behind that is it is based in PANAMA which has not any law for retaining data of the customers for their internet activities. So, even if there is minimal risk of data theft or personal identity disclosure against the Government pressure on ISPs or VPN service providers, it gets eliminated when you use NORDVPN.
- The company has a large span of servers all over the world, and great customer support does nothing but adds gold regarding functionality.
- Not only this, but a user can also operate six simultaneous connections from only one account.
- You can connect more than one Raspberry Pi models to a single account and can use the VPN service on them simultaneously.
IPVanish is the best VPN for Kodi Raspberry Pi, especially if you have installed Android OS on your Pi device. You can easily access the Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV which means you can download the SDKs of different apps without going to Google Play Store. You can download the IPVanish software on your Raspberry Pi directly from the Amazon Fire TV app store. IPVanish has over 1000 servers across the world which offers you a great choice span. The software also supports Windows, Mac, iOS, FireStick and other Raspberry Pi Operating Systems. You can connect five Raspberry Pi devices simultaneously on a single account.
- The company provides a fast, accurate, constant and reliable connection in almost all areas of the world.
- It supports 256-bit encryption security protocol which means your data will be safe during your online surfing, video playing, or multiplayer gaming.
- The company also does not store the customer logs, unlike some other standard VPN service providers.
Last but not the least, HideMyAss is another big name in the VPN industry. It has servers in over 190 countries of the world, and so has one of the largest Virtual Private Networks. It provides secure OpenVPN encryption security, and you can also use the Raspberry Pi as a gateway for HideMyAss VPN.
- This VPN provides constant, fast and reliable speed over your private or public networks.
- You can make five simultaneous connections of your Raspberry Pi devices.
- It also supports L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) and PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol to get most out of your Pi project.
- It offers a 30-day money back limited guarantee to the users.
Raspberry Pi Connect to VPN- Setup Guide
There are three ways to setup VPN on Raspberry Pi. We will take a look at them all.
Method-1: Raspberry Pi Connect to VPN using Router
When you connect the VPN to Raspberry Pi using your internet router, then it gives faster access and advantage of an extra layer of encryption security. It routes all the data through the router through the servers of the VPN. Many people use this method as it is easier than the manual VPN configuration on the Raspberry Pi.
You can also find a lot of how to guides on the web for setting up the VPN on the Raspberry Pi. Also, getting an internet router is quite easy and affordable nowadays. There are many top brands that provide routers that are compatible with VPNs straight out of the box.
If you are a beginner of using Raspberry Pi for various electronics projects, then this is a recommended method for you. Make sure to buy a third party router and not one from your ISP, as it can be difficult to make the appropriate configuration for the VPN software.
Method-2: Setting up VPN on Raspberry Pi Directly
You will need the executable shell files for installing OpenVPN on your Raspberry Pi if you want to configure the VPN manually. So, it is advisable to choose the VPN which offers such executable files. Also, it should support the Raspberry Pi environment. All the VPN services listed above are fully compatible with the Raspberry Pi OS platforms, and so you will get filtered choices for your suitable software.
Setting up the VPN manually on the Raspberry Pi varies depending on which software you want to go with. So, it is advisable to go to the official website of the VPN service you choose to get the proper installation process as some slight menu change also can create a big confusion.
But before going through the setup process, make sure that you have inserted the Raspberry Pi SD card with the memory above 8GB in your device and also an up and running NOOBS software on it.
Method-3: Using Add-ons to use VPN for Kodi Raspberry Pi
If you are using a Raspberry Pi-powered Kodi media center or installing an OpenElec software on the Pi device, then you can get the help of some Kodi add-ons to have the perfect VPN setup on it. Zomboided is one such add-on which is compatible across various Windows, Linux, and other Raspberry Pi media platforms.
Raspberry Pi is a cross-platform, flexible, customizable and adjustable device that can help in making numerous electronics projects. Especially the launch of Raspberry Pi 2 in Feb 2015 followed by Raspberry Pi 3 in 2016 make the use of VPN service more popular among the worldwide hobbyists and enthusiasts. Choose your suitable VPN software program and do wonders with your Raspberry Pi.
Which VPN do you want to go for your Raspberry Pi? Are you already using other VPN service on your Pi which is not mentioned in this list? Visit the comment section below and share your words with the world.