Best Raspberry Pi Robot Kits of 2017 – 2018Mandip
The Raspberry Pi is a single board microcomputer which can work like a desktop PC. We are already aware of this thing; my question is that what other things can you do with your Raspberry Pi? Firstly, it looks like a light and silly question, but the answer could be in hundreds of lines. The credit card-sized Raspberry Pi is a precious tool for the artists, hobbyists, students, and professionals. With the help of this super minicomputer, you can build robots for $50, $100, $1000 … and so on.
Check this list of the Raspberry Pi Robot Kits and choose the best kit for your robotics project.
Top Raspberry Pi Robot Kits
- Top Raspberry Pi Robot Kits
- 1) Dexter Industries Raspberry Pi GoPiGo3 Robot Kit
- 2) Rapiro Robot for Raspberry Pi by Switch Science
- 3) PiStorms LEGO Robot – Raspberry Pi V2 Starter Kit
- 4) SunFounder Smart Video Car Raspberry Pi Robot Kit
- 5) BrickPi+ Raspberry Pi Base Kit
- 6) Raspberry Pi 3 Smart Video Car Kit by SunFounder
- 7) Kuman Professional WIFI Smart Robot Car kit for Raspberry Pi
The Dexter Industries has made this GoPiGo3 Robot kit which helps to build a fully functional robot powered by Raspberry Pi 3. It includes a robot body, motors, controls and everything you need to get your Raspberry Pi up and running. Currently, it is one of the most popular Raspberry Pi Robot Kits on Amazon.
Features of the GoPiGo3 Raspberry Pi Robot Kit are:
- It is a super robot car and upgraded version of GoPiGo
- It comes with the fastest Raspberry Pi 3 board
- Also works great with the Raspberry Pi models A, B, and B+
- It requires no soldering and powered by eight AA batteries
- Dexter Industries provide the software examples and APIs
- Other accessories include a preloaded Micro SD card, an Ethernet cable, a USB WiFi adapter, Raspberry Pi power supply, an ultrasonic sensor, and all the other essential components of the GoPiGo basic starter kit
The Switch Science has designed the Rapiro robot which is a DIY Raspberry Pi-powered kit. It is an affordable, sturdy, easy to assemble, humanoid robot kit.
Features of the Rapiro Robot by Switch Science are:
- It is a DIY model Raspberry Pi robot kit
- It is specially designed for the hobbyists, students, and engineers in the robotics field
- The kit comes in unassembled condition, so user needs to assemble the parts
- You can also install the Model B+ of Raspberry Pi with some small modifications in the Rapiro
- After assembling, it weighs only 1Kg (Lightweight design)
- It comes with 12 servos and a servo control board
- Recommended for the age above 15+
3) PiStorms LEGO Robot – Raspberry Pi V2 Starter Kit
You can make the stunning robot powered by Raspberry Pi with this fantastic Raspberry Pi Robot kit from mindsensors.com. It easily interacts with your bot and can be programmed using the Python. The package includes a PiStorms controller, a LEGO compatible frame, a 6-AA battery holder, a WiFi adapter and an SD card loaded with a ready to use Operating System.
Features of the PiStorms Raspberry Pi Robot Kit are:
- You can make LEGO robot by using the brains of Raspberry Pi!
- It works great with the Raspberry Pi A+, B+, and Raspberry Pi 2
- The LEGO Mindstorms NXT or the EV3 motors & sensors can be connected to code the Raspberry Pi
- It has a built-in color touch display screen of 2.4-inch
- The sturdy design includes an SD card and a WiFi adapter
4) SunFounder Smart Video Car Raspberry Pi Robot Kit
If you want to get started with a robot, then this smart video car Raspberry Pi robot kit from SunFounder is a great option to choose. You can also apply this kit in a virtual machine on Linux. If you have an Android OS installed on Raspberry Pi, then you can operate this setup using a supported app by SunFounder.
Check the features of the SunFounder Raspberry Pi Robot Kit below:
- It is a complete Raspberry Pi learning kit for the beginners in the field of robotics and electronics
- The kit uses a step-down DC to DC converter module that reduces the input voltage
- An L298N motor driver module also included in the bundle
- It is a great kit for studying the Raspberry Pi robotics by both the code and application
- It has a working voltage of 7 to 12V and is powered by two rechargeable lithium batteries of 18650A
- The kit also includes a Webcam with a USB WiFi adapter
- It comes with a compatible Android App for Raspberry Pi
5) BrickPi+ Raspberry Pi Base Kit
Design a stunning robot with the BrickPi starter bundle from Dexter Industries. It comes with all the needed accessories. You need to separately buy the Raspberry Pi 3, power supply, micro SD card with preloaded ‘Raspbian for Robots’ software, WiFi dongle, etc. though.
Features of BrickPi+ Raspberry Pi Robot Kit from Dexter Industries are:
- The battery pack is enough to power your Raspberry Pi board
- If you attach the BrickPi case with LEGO, then it will turn into an excellent featured robot
- Other languages like Scratch, Python, and Java can be used to write code
- You can connect up to four NXT or EV3 digital/analog motors & sensors
- Control it remotely by connecting the LEGO Mindstorms robot to the web
- An acrylic case is sturdy enough to protect your setup from accidental damage
- A fantastic Raspberry Pi robot kit for beginners
The BrickPi+ Raspberry Pi robot kit is a Wi-Fi supported, cross country, off-road smart car robot kit. It helps you to make a 4-wheel smart robot car on your own without any professional help.
6) Raspberry Pi 3 Smart Video Car Kit by SunFounder
The SunFounder has developed an open source robot Pi learning kit to help you understand the coding platform using Raspberry Pi 3. It includes a wide-angle webcam to give clear and perfect pictures of the objects that come in between the path of the robot car.
Features of the SunFounder Smart Robot Kit for Raspberry Pi 3 are:
- You will get a real-time video transmission through the powerful webcam
- An included remote helps to navigate the robot car easily
- Attractive look, sturdy design, and multiple all-together make it a value for money robotics learning kit
- It supports a compatible app which is supported by all types of Operating Systems
- Though the Python code is provided to program it, you can use any development platform to make it up and running
- It will need two high-capacity batteries to work on the operational voltage of 7-12 Volts
- Essential components like Raspberry Pi 3, HATs, wide-angle camera, PWM driver, Motor driver, Servo, battery holder, screwdriver, wrenches, wheels, screws, nuts, and wires make you worry free from making different purchases to make a complete product
The user-friendly graphical interface, simple coding section with a drag-and-drop feature, multiple OS, and coding languages support, etc. are the main advantages to have this RPi 3 robot car kit. It can work with any computer, tablet, mobile phones, etc.
7) Kuman Professional WIFI Smart Robot Car kit for Raspberry Pi
If you want a complete Raspberry Pi robot kit with a WiFi functionality, then Kuman professional robotic kit is an excellent option to choose. It will help you to control your Pi powered robot car through a mobile application too.
The Raspberry Pi Robot Car Kit from Kuman comes with features as below:
- It comes with a preloaded SD card of 8GB capacity including the robot system codes
- An included webcam provides real-time image and video transmissions on your device
- Inbuilt hotspot feature offers an easy control through an app
- Open source Python code makes the programming task easy and effective
- The camera has 2-axis cradle which makes the shooting at any angle, and that is done without moving the robot car
- The setup works on the most successive and powerful solution including the brain of the RPi motherboard & drive expansion with power management
- A detailed manual with easy-to-understand diagrams helps to understand the working of the project
The smart robot car kit from Kuman is compatible with computer systems, iOS, and Android devices to let you get started with your Raspberry Pi 3. It takes advantage of both the application and coding platforms to interact and control the robotic car kit.
You need to do some little bit extra programming to make intricate designs with your Raspberry Pi robot kit. For this, you can have more than one robot kits, and use the combination of the latest technologies, solutions, and concepts. Hope you had found your best project partner from the above list of the Best Raspberry Pi Robot Kits and will become the inspiration to others.
Thanks for reading to this point. If you found this article helpful, then share it on your social accounts to help your friends and other RPi lovers to take advantage of such great things for their electronics and robotics projects.