Arlo Pro vs Arlo vs Blink vs Nest – Security Camera Systems ComparedMandip
In this new age of security, there is an increased demand for surveillance options, especially when it comes to protecting your home and family. However purchasing the best security camera system can be a mind-boggling experience to someone who is new to the world of home surveillance.
That is why we have come up with the 4 best cameras on the market and compared them just for you. We have listed each of their advantages & disadvantages and compared them to give you the best security camera system for your requirement.
Arlo Pro is a completely wireless security camera system that is preferred for outdoor use. It is easy to install, produces a crisp video and is very compatible with other smart devices. The Arlo Pro is not exactly a ‘new’ camera- it is simply a much-improved version of its predecessor “Arlo HD” that was released in 2015. Most of its improvements are under-the-hood, including a single rechargeable battery.
Features of Arlo Pro:
- Improved motion detection and night vision. Better weatherproofing capabilities.
- Offers free cloud storage.
- Includes a microphone and a built-in speaker so you can disconcert trespassers, alleviate uneasy pets and do much more.
- Supports IFTTT, a free web-based service that is used to create chains of simple conditional statements.
- Recording is done on the basis of motion and sound, and are stored for seven days from up to 5 different cameras
- Comes with four motion-detection modes: Armed mode, Disarmed mode, Schedule mode, and Geofencing mode. You can also create your own custom modes in the Arlo app.
- The camera has ample 130-degree field of view, and despite the lens’ wide angle, the Pro’s image has no image-bending or other distortion.
Arlo is perhaps the only battery-powered security camera system that does not compromise on features like live streaming and HD quality video. It can detect motion, use night vision and give 720 p resolution video, though it has relatively low battery life.
Here are a few characteristics of Arlo:
- Battery life that lasts from 4 to 6 months based on the usage and proximity (as these cameras are activated by motion detection)
- Requires 4 CR123 Lithium batteries
- It has a 130-degree field view with great night vision that adjusts automatically.
- Arlo’s 300 feet operating range holds true only under the most optimal conditions when almost negligible interferences are present in the signal.
- Factors like how far the camera is placed from the hub, how often you access the live streaming feature, and the mode you select for each camera decide the period that the batteries last.
The Blink Home Surveillance System is a modular home security system that gives you the feature of keeping a remote ‘eye’ on your home from a smartphone. As a completely wireless system, it saves you from plugging it into a power outlet all day and drawing immense amounts of power.
Why the Blink has made a name for itself:
- Its 2-year battery life
- Reasonably priced
- Night vision that uses a LED illuminator with the feature of advanced low-light performance
- They come with a pair of AA batteries, giving a couple of years of battery life.
- An image capture icon that clicks a real-time picture of the inspected area and shows it to you
- Videos from the Blink’s recorded clips are available to download onto your phone, so you never lose the relevant videos due to lack of space
The Nest is an app-controlled security system for your homes developed as a part of Nest’s smart home devices. It is not a wireless system and uses a USB cord to plug into the power socket.
The same USB cord can be disconnected from the power adapter and put into a laptop/computer. It has a solid green light at the top that shows when the camera is recording.
Here are some features of the Nest Cam:
- Nest security camera has several mounting options- on the wall, on the fridge, on a horizontal surface, etc
- Its dimensions are 4.5 * 2.8 * 2.8 inches, and it has a lens angle of 130 degrees.
- It’s sleek leg rotates 180 degrees, and the camera itself can be rotated 360 degrees.
- It has an unparalleled 1080p streaming video along with 8x zoom, giving it a superior picture quality
- The lens of the camera is 3 megapixels, and it is ringed by 8 LED lights, giving you a detailed picture even during night vision.
- It has a scheduling feature that allows you to specify the times that the device can keep on and record.
Arlo Pro vs Arlo vs Blink vs Nest:
In an Arlo vs Arlo Pro comparison, we see that Arlo Pro is better in terms of a modular design and most importantly a rechargeable battery. While every other feature remains the same, Arlo Pro which is the best arlo alternative also has a two-way audio facility which Arlo does not possess. Arlo Pro also manages to work at colder temperatures as compared to Arlo.
In an Arlo vs Blink comparison, it is observed that though both have non-rechargeable batteries, Blink’s Lithium AA-powered batteries give you a longer battery life as compared to Arlo. A notable difference between the two is Blink uses a bright LED to help capture night vision in color, while Arlo captures night vision in black and white. Depending on your requirement, you can opt for either one.
In the Arlo vs Nest comparison, there are many differences to consider. Arlo is a wireless system while Nest is a wired system. While Arlo gives out 7 days of free cloud-based video storage to every user, Nest charges their users for such plans. Nest cameras are also not integrated with IFTTT. Instead, they are integrated with Nest’s own thermostat and smoke alarm. Arlo functions better with respect to Nest in colder climates. While Arlo’s video resolution is 720p, Blink’s video resolution is 1080p.
For a list of all relevant comparisons by feature, look below:
|Battery||Rechargeable||Non-rechargeable (Lithium CR123)||Non-rechargeable (AA Lithium batteries)||Not Applicable|
|Night Vision||Infrared (black and white capture)||Infrared (black and white capture)||Bright LED (color capture)||Infrared (black and white capture)|
|Cloud Storage||7 days of free video storage||7 days of free video storage||7200 seconds of free video storage||Chargeable plans only (starting from $9.95 per month)|
|Third Party Integrations||IFTTT||IFTTT||Amazon Echo||Nest Learning Thermostat and|
Nest Protect Smoke Alarm
|Distortion||No||No||Slight pincushion distortion||No|
|Operating Temperature Range||-4 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 40 degrees Celsius)||14 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 to 50 degrees Celsius)|
|32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 35 degrees Celsius)||32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 40 degrees Celsius)|
|Alert Type||Motion, audio||Motion, audio||motion||Motion, audio|
|Field of View||130°||130°||110°||130°|
As your requirements from your home security systems will vary, so will your choice for the same. However, these facts will help you create a more informed decision as to which system you should be planning to purchase according to your priorities.